A George R. Klare Bibliography
- Analysis of the readability level of selected United States Armed
Forces Institute printed instructional materials. The Journal of
Educational Research, 1973, 67, 176.
- Assessing readability. Reading Research Quarterly, 1974-75,
- Assessing readability. Chapter 1 (Section 4) in L. J. Chapman and
P. Czerniewska (Eds.), Reading from Process to Practice. London:
Routledge and Kegan Paul, in association with Open University Press,
- Automation of the Flesch "Reading Ease" readability formula, with
various options. (With P. P. Rowe, M. G. St. John, and L. M. Stolurow.)
Reading Research Quarterly, 1969, 4, 550-559.
- Citation Classic: Klare, G. R. Assessing readability. Current Contents:
Social and Behavioral Sciences, 20, No. 47, November 21, 1988, and
Current Contents: Arts and Humanities, 20, No. 47, November 21,1988.
- Cognitive activities of beginning and advanced college writers: A
pausal analysis. (With G. M. Schumacher, F. C. Cronin, and J. D. Moses.)
Research in the Teaching of English, 1984, 18, 169-187.
- Cognitive processes during pauses in writing. (With G. M. Schumacher,
F. C. Cronin, and J. D. Moses.) In J. A. Niles and L. A. Harris (Eds.)
Thirty-second Yearbook of the National Reading Conference. Rochester,
New York: National Reading Conference, 1983.
- Cognitive processes in journalistic genres. (With G. Schumacher, B.
Scott, F. Cronin, and D. Lambert.) Written Communication, 1989,
- The cloze procedure: A convenient readability test for training materials
and translations. (With H. W. Sinaiko and L. M. Stolurow.) International
Review of Applied Psychology, 1972, 21, 77-106.
- The cloze procedure in adult basic education. (With M. A. Sherman.)
Journal of Reading, 1972, 15, 624.
- Comments. (On papers by Curran, Muller, and others.) In T. G. Sticht
and D. W. Zapf (Eds.), Reading and Readability Research in the Armed
Services. Alexandria, VA: Human Resources Research Organization,
1976, 202, 265, 282-289.
- Comments on Bormuth's "Readability: A new approach." Reading Research
Quarterly, 1966, 1, 119-125.
- Comments on "Cinematography as a method of research." Journal of
Counseling Psychology, 1959, 6, 243-244.
- Components of answers to multiple-choice questions on a published
reading comprehension test: An application of the Hanna-Oaster approach.
(With E. B, Entin.) Reading Research Quarterly, 1980, 25, 228-236.
- Differential relationships of two versions of cloze tests to vocabulary
and reading comprehension. (With E. B. Entin.) In M. L. Kamil and A.
J. Moe (Eds.), Reading Research: Studies and Applications. Twenty-eighth
Yearbook of the National Reading Conference. Clemson, SC: The National
Reading Conference, 1979, 68-71.
- Elementary Statistics: Data Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences.
(With P. A. Games.) New York: McGraw-Hill, 1967.
- Factor analyses of three correlation matrices of readability variables.
(With E. B. Entin.) Journal of Reading Behavior, 1978, 10, 279-290.
- Factors relating to correspondence and other non-traditional instruction:
The role of readability. In ERIC Clearinghouse in Reading and Communication
Skills, with abstract in Research in Education, November, 1973.
- Feedback: Principles and analogies. (With F. C. Johnson.) Journal
of Communication, 1962, 12, 150-159.
- The formative years. In B. L. Zakaluk and S. J. Samuels (Eds.), Readability:Its
Past, Present, and Future. Newark, DE: International Reading Association,
- Further experiments in language translation: A second evaluation of
the readability of computer translations. (With H. W. Sinaiko.) ITL
(Review of Applied Linguistics), 1973, 19, 29-52.
- Further experiments in language translation: Readability of computer
translations. (With H. W. Sinaiko.) ITL (Review of Applied Linguistics),
1972, 15, 1-29.
- General models of communication research:-A survey of the developments
of a decade. (With F. C. Johnson.) Journal of Communication,
1961, 11, 13-26.
- How to Write Readable English. London: Hutchinson, 1985.
- Instructor's manual to accompany Elementary Statistics: Data
Analysis for the Behaznoral Sciences. (With P. A. Games.) New
York: McGraw-Hill, 1967.
- Interpolation of instructional objectives during "breaks" in recorded
speech lectures. (With P. A. Games and F. C. Johnson.) Speech Monographs,
1967, 34, 437-442.
- Introduction. (To Testing and Grading articles.) In S. Scholl
and S. Inglis (Eds.), Teaching in Higher Education. Columbus,
OH: Ohio Board of Regents, 1977.
- Judging readability. Instructional Science, 1976, 5, 55-61.
- Know Your Reader. (With B. Buck.) New York: Hermitage House,
1954. Chapter 11 reprinted in James I. Brown (Ed.), Efficient
- A Manual for Readable Writing. Glen Burnie, MD: REM Co.,
- A Manual for Readable Writing, Fourth Revised Edition.
Glen Burnie, MD: REM Co., 1980.
- Matching materials to readers: The role of readability estimates
in conjunction with other kinds of information about comprehensibility.
In T. L. Harris and E. J. Cooper (Eds.), Reading, Thinking, and
Concept Development. New York: The College Board, 1985.
- The Measurement of Readability. Ames, IA: Iowa State University
Press, 1963. Chapter One reprinted in the August, 2000 issue, ACM
Journal of Computer Documentation, 24, 107-121.
- The Measurement of Readability. (Sixteen pages translated into
French and reprinted in Comment Mesurer la Lisibilite. Brussels, Belgium:
Editions Labor, and Paris, France: Fernand Nathan, 1975.)
- Measures of the readability of written communication: An evaluation.
The Journal of Educational Psychology, 1952, 43, 385-389.
- Measuring the Readability of High School Newspapers. Parts
1 and 2. (With L. R. Campbell.) Iowa City, JA: Quill and Scroll Foundation,
- A note on "Simplification of the Flesch Reading Ease formula." Journal
of Applied Psychology, 1952, 36, 53
- Operational consequences of literacy gap, (With J. D. Kniffin,
C. R. Stevenson, E. B. Entin, S. L. Slaughter, and L. Hooke.) Brooks
AFB, TX: Air Force Systems Command, May, 1980 (AFHRL-TR-79-22).
- A possible framework for the study of readability. In T. E. Curran
(Ed.), Tri-Service Literacy and Readability: Workshop Proceedings.
NPRDC Special Report 80-12. San Diego, CA: Navy Personnel Research and
Development Center, March, 1980, 86-89.
- Practical Aspects of Readability, Milton Keynes, England: Institute
of Educational Technology, The Open University, 1981.
- Questions. In G. D. Lassiter (ed.), Interrogations, Confessions, and Entrapment. New York: Kuwer Academic/Plenum, 2005.
- A reaction to Chicago's TV college: A televised open learning model.
In S, A. Harrison and L. M. Stolurow (Eds.), Educational Technologies:
Productivity in Higher Education. Washington, DC: U.S. Department
of Health, Education, and Welfare, January, 1974.
- Readability. (Invited essay.) In T. L. Harris and R. E. Hodges (Eds.),
The Literacy Dictionary. Newark, DE: International Reading Association,
- Readability. (Signed entry.) In B. B. Wolman (Ed.), International
Encyclopedia of Psychiatry, Psychology, Psychoanalysis, and Neurology.
Boston, MA: Aesculapius Publishers, 1977.
- Readability. (Signed entry.) In H. E. Mitzel (Ed.), Encyclopedia
of Educational Research. Fifth Edition. New York: The Free Press,
- Readability. (Signed chapter.) In P. D. Pearson (Ed.), Handbook
of Reading Research. New York: Longman, 1984, 681-744.
- Readability and behavior modification training texts: Updated findings.
(With F. Andrasik, S. R. Edlund, and R. A. Butz.) Behavioral Counseling
Quarterly, 1982, 2, 183-189.
- Readability and comprehension. In R. S. Easterby and H. Zwaga (Eds.),
Visual Presentation of Information. London: Wiley, 1984.
- Readability indices: Do they inform or misinform? Information
Design Journal, 1981, 2, 251-255.
- Readability of behavior modification texts: Cross-comparison and comments.
(With F. Andrasik and W. Murphy.) Behavioral Therapy, 1976, 7,539-543.
- Readability of materials and student comprehension. In Reading
and Beyond. Report of the Helen M. Robinson-Third Annual Reading
Conference. Athens, OH: College of Education, Ohio University, 1979.
- Readability of patient consent forms: Comparison and cross-check of
different types from different sources. (With A. Saville and C. J. Denbow.)
The DO, April, 1984, 102-104.
- Readability: Passage difficulty and context dependency. In Resources
in Education, January, 1982.
- Readability standards for Army-wide publications. Fort Benjamin Harrison, IN: Directorate of Evaluation, U.S. Army Administration Center, 1979. (Evaluation Report
- Readability and The Living Word Vocabulary (Invited review). Information
Design Journal 1991, 6, 246-247.
- Readable computer documentation. Invited essay. ACM Journal of
Computer Documentation, 2000, 24, 148-168.
- Readable technical writing: Some observations. Technical Communication,
1977, 24, 1-5. Received outstanding article award (Best of Show), 25th
International Technical Communication Conference, Dallas, TX, May, 1978.
- Reading interests of airmen during basic training. (With L. M. Gustafson and J. E. Mabry.) San Antonio, TX: Human Resources Research Center, Lackland AFB, November, 1953. (Research Bulletin 53-54.)
- Recapitulation. In T. E. Curran (Ed.), Tri-Sennce Literacy and
Readability: Workshop Proceedings. NPRDC Special Report 80-12. San
Diego, CA: Navy Personnel Research and Development Center, March, 1980,
- The relationship of format organization to learning. (With E. H. Shuford
and W. H. Nichols.) Educational Research Bulletin, 1958, 37,
- The relationship of human interest to immediate retention and to acceptability
of technical material. (With J. E. Mabry and L. M. Gustafson.) Journal
of Applied Psycliology, 1955, 35, 92-95.
- The relationship of immediate retention of technical training material
to career preferences and aptitudes. (With L. M. Gustafson and J. E.
Mabry.) The Journal of Educational Psychology, 1955, 46, 321-329.
- The relationship of patterning (underlining) to immediate retention
and to acceptability of technical material. (With J. E. Mabry and L.
M. Gustafson.) Journal of Applied Psychology, 1955, 39, 40-42.
- The relationship of style difficulty, practice, and ability to efficiency
of reading and to retention. (With E. H. Shuford and W. H. Nichols.)
Journal of Applied Psychology, 1957, 41, 222-226.
- The relationship of style difficulty to immediate retention and to
acceptability of technical material. (With J. E. Mabry and L. M. Gustafson.)
The Journal of Educational Psychology, 1955, 46, 287-295.
- The relationship of typographic arrangement to the learning of technical
training material. (With W. H. Nichols and E. H. Shuford.) Journal
of Applied Psychology, 1957, 41, 41-45.
- The relationship of verbal communication variables to immediate and delayed retention and the acceptability of technical training materials. (With J. E. Mabry and L. M. Gustafson.) San Antonio, TX: Air Force Personnel and Training Research Center, Lackland AFB, December, 1954. (Research Bulletin 54-103)
- The relationships of measures of interest, prior knowledge, and readability
to comprehension of expository passages. (With E. B. Entin.) In B. Hutson
(Ed.), Advances in Reading/Language Research, Vol. III. Greenwich,
CN: JAI Press, 1985.
- Research critique. Elementary English, 1971, 48, 675-681,
- Re-opening the cloze blank issue. (With R. Rush.) Journal of
Reading Behavior, 1978, 10, 208-210.
- The role of word frequency in readability. Elementary English,
1968, 45,12-22. Reprinted in J. R. Bormuth (Ed.), Readability
in 1968 (A Research Bulletin Prepared by a Committee of the
National Conference on Research in English, 1968).
- Review of Charles M. Redfield, Communication in Management.
Journal of Applied Psychology, 1954, 38, 138-39.
- Review of Eleanor M. Peterson, Aspects of Readability in the Social
Sciences. Journal of Applied Psychology, 1957, 41, 41-45.
- Review of Stanley L. Levin, "Gyro Fundamentals" (a learning program).
Training, 1964, 1, 10.
- Review of Jeanne S. Chall, Readability: An Appraisal of Research
and Application. Educational Research Bulletin, 1959, 38,49-50.
- Review of May Katzen, The Visual Impact of Scholarly Articles. The
Library Journal, 1979,49,229-231.
- A second look at the validity of readability formulas. Invited essay.
Journal of Reading Behavior, 1976, 8,129-152.
- Selecting textbooks: Some preliminary thoughts. (With M. Macdonald-Ross.)
In J. E. Merritt (Ed.), New Horizons in Reading. Proceedings
of the Fifth World Congress in Reading, Vienna, Austria, August 12-14,1974.
Newark, DE: International Reading Association, 1976, 318-330.
- A selective split-level bibliography on programmed instruction.
East Lansing, MI: Program Press, 1963.
- Some empirical predictors of readability. In E. Z. Rothkopf and P.
E. Johnson (Eds.), Verbal Learning Research and the Technology of
Written Instruction. New York: Teachers College Press, Columbia
- Some interrelationships of readability, cloze, and multiple-choice
scores on a reading comprehension test. (With E. B. Entin.) Journal
of Reading Behavior, 1978,10, 417-436.
- Student behavior while reading from text. (With G. M. Schumacher.)
In Resources in Education, October, 1981.
- Student reactions to topics in general psychology. (With A. H. Fuchs
and M. S. Pullen.) American Psychologist, 1957,12, 219-221.
- A table for rapid determination of Dale-Chall readability scores.
Educational Research Bulletin, 1952, 31, 43-47.
- Textbooks. (With J. Hartley.) In D. J. Unwin and R. MacAleese (Eds.),
Encyclopedia of Educational Media, Communication and Technology.
London: The Macmillan Press, Ltd., 1978, 770-776.
- Understandability and indefinite answers to public opinion questions.
International Journal of Opinion and Attitude Research, 1950,
- What readability can do for you. (With R. S. Laubach.) Syracuse,
NY: New Readers Press, 1964.
- Writing to inform: Making it readable. Information Design Journal,
- Writing with a helping hand. In H. B. Pepinsky (Ed.), People
and Information. New York: Pergamon Press, 1970.